June 2, 2009

The sewing machine's debut...again!

About a month ago I spotted this adorable doorway puppet theater in Country Living. Immediately cue the "I could do that" thoughts.

I suddenly remembered that I had several yards of natural cotton duck for who knows what project from years past that would be perfect for the big part. Next I Googled other doorway puppet theaters and decided that making a pole pocket curtain with an extension rod would work best for us. We went and picked out fabric to decorate our theater, got the extension rod but don't get too excited, I haven't even started it yet. Because here is my sewing machine.


Not a place of pride is it? Shoved in a closet underneath extra pillows with all sorts of extra what do you do with stuff. I do know how to sew, I can make simple things and sew a straight line but that's about it. Honestly I don't use my machine too often so I usually forget how to use it by the time I need it again. So I have to bother my mom to come and show me for the 100th time how to thread the bobbin. I'm hoping all my practice on my machine will turn me into a sewing gal because I really want to make one of these for the front of my ugly office desk.

Cute huh? Good thinking from Laura Casey. Between this photo and Erika's hidey spot for her stuff I think it would make an excellent solution to my desk dilemma. Cross your fingers that my I want to sew crusade doesn't fizzle before I finish my projects.

6 comments:

No.35style said...

i am wanting to make a table skirt for a small living room table out of that keywest trellis fabric in brown!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Thanks Sarah! Glad that the table skirt is inspiring. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I am working on learning to sew myself.

Aartee said...

SO cute! I would love to learn to sew....

Luvs2dance said...

Are you going to make sock puppets are go the distance and try for some life-like creatures?

I can't to see a puppet show - I LOVE these kinds of things!!!

Lauren said...

Sarah!!! Saw the puppet show too & love it!!! It's def on my list for when my little guy gets a bit older... I can't wait to see how you do it!!
xoxo

simply seleta said...

Yummy table skirt with raised banding along bottom. Keep us posted on your puppet + table skirt projects!!!

xoxo