September 28, 2009

Let's talk accessories

Saturday I did some holiday decorating which you can see below while the boys and I watched a movie. Since have I decided to try and hone my styling chops I took a peek at the styling gurus Lauren, Eddie and Anna and came away with a sense of what I was going for this year. Here are a few pictures that inspired me.

I have decided that I'm going one of my goals is going to be to get better at the accessorizing my home. I feel confident with my design choices but it's that last 10% that gets me every time. The difficult part is I know these are the important things that bring life to a room.

My big frustration is finding accessories that often times when you bring them home they are the wrong scale or look slightly off. Then what to do, keep them and possibly use them later or return them? Total time and space suck which drives me nuts.

Saturday I browsed my closets, bookshelves and my sideboard to find things that I could use for fall decorating. I was amazed to find things that I forgot I had. I had lots of antique books and a silver pitcher, which totally saved me from having to find a vase for my feathers. Lesson learned I suppose. Hopefully I can keep it up. What are you strategies for making your home lively?

{from top images from Southern Accents, Country Living via Pure Style Home and Southern Accents}

6 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Good post. Have to say I have been styling a clients bookcase which is enormous so that top picture is helpful to see the layers.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I love the cluttered yet organized look of the shelves.

Heather said...

I love the photos on that wall. It looks GOOD when I see it on someone else's wall, but when I attempt it, it seems a little off, and I'm left with way too many holes in the wall!

suddenly I see said...

go to Tracy Porter.com and she has videos that actually inspire and guide you on the "how'd they do that" questions we all have. Good luck!

TryingHard said...

Accessorizing is the hardest thing to do because it can start to look junkie. I believe accessorizing is putting out things that make you feel good that appeals to your eye and that you love. If you love it you will make it work. If you look at the scale of the wall of pictures initially one would think the little settee was too small in scale and same with the David statue but look how great it all looks together. I would have bought the settee because I loved it. I love walls of pictures. My friend did this with wall mirrors and it looks great. I don't redecorate for any season other than Christmas. I put away the summer wreath and put out pumpkins but no way redecorate.

kitchen table said...

I love the frames. It looks so nice in that wall. I think I can do that in one of my wall. I never thought that it will look so amazing. Thank you for this inspiring post.