September 2, 2009

PB&J...again?

Are any of you having the lunch time trouble I've been having lately? While my Big really loves PB&J and bagels I think he may already be getting wee bit sick of them. So for the next couple of days I'm going to make it my job to try to find some new things that he can pack in his lunch that will jive with his 5 year old palate.


I haven't done much digging yet but here are a few of the places I'm going to start if any of you are having the same issues.

Epicurious :: Back to School Cooking
Chef Ann Cooper
Parents :: Healthy School Lunches and Snacks
Parenting :: 10 Fresh Lunch ideas


If you have any brilliant, delicious, kid-friendly ideas please share in comments. I'm sure we are all hitting that boring lunchtime wall so we could use all of the help we can get.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I am in awe of the bento box lunches. No matter what was in there, if it looked fun like that I would at least try it!

Maybe get him involved in the choosing and making process and he'll be willing to try some new and different things?

Can't wait to hear what you come up with

Sarah Ring said...

MIchelle's suggestions were great. I think getting him involved in the process would help, but beyond that you would get to spend some QT together and nothing beats that! Good luck! ;)

Jill Marie said...

I just made a "new" PB&J for a bake sale we had at my work - it is made with a toaster waffle, cut in half and then along with the peanut butter and jam, i added a couple apple slices. It is a sweet treat and update to the classic.

Meghan said...

ok...since i've been packing lunches for my 6 year old the last two days....I think I can help. Ritz and cheese. Yogart. Cheese sandwich. Mayo. Mustard. Cheese. She loves it.
But cheese, crackers and peperoni's have been a hit.

Courtney said...

Obviously I'm not having these issues, but oddly enough the other day I was thinking how stressed I would be if I had to plan a child's lunch every day! You Moms rock!!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Everyone always starts off bringing sack lunches and then turns to buying lunch by the end of the year (at least at my school!)

Lauren said...

oh thanks for listing these!!! yes we have the same issue!!!

XOXO

Sarah said...

Sarah, honestly I haven't shifted gears into school mode since we don't start until after Labor Day. So this is just off the top of my head but here's a few:
: wraps (we use hummus and leftovers)
: sushi (anything wrapped with rice; chicken terriyaki, salmon, etc)
: leftovers
basically, I try to cook a little extra at dinner, save it and repackage it in the morning. It doesn't take any extra time no matter how decadent it may sound.
Anything in a bento is a hit.